- Don't spend all your money on the camera itself, without a good quality lens the pictures that you take will not turn out to be all you hoped for.
- A high quality camera lens is the key to taking good photographs.
- One good quality camera lens is better than two cheaper lenses.
- You can always upgrade your camera body and use your quality lenses.
- Start out with the best quality camera lens that you should afford.
There are three basic camera lens types, as follows:
- wide angle
- less than 50mm
- popular with landscape photographers
- great for highlighting foreground objects with the background almost fading into the distance (DOF)
- most common focal length for a wide angled lens are 24mm and 28mm
- telephoto (zoom)
- more than 50mm
- great for bringing far away objects right up close
- great for sporting
- reduce the depth of field (SDOF)
- used for close up photography
- have similar properties to a normal lens, but they are able to focus a lot closer to the subject
- common focal lengths are 50/55mm or 90/100/105mm
- optical quality of a macro lens is normally very high fish eye
- fish eye
- angle of view is a full 180%
- pictures produced are distorted - center of the picture almost comes out to meet you whereas the top, bottom and sides of the picture appear to be further away
- circular and full frame fish eye lenses with full frame being the most common